

## **District 4: February 19, 2019**

Open @ 7PM

Anthony reads an introduction (printed on the agenda)

Pass around checklist for attendance

Add your email address to receive emails r.e. District 4

### **Group Reports**

Bob (Friday Night Chapman St.)

everything is going well

elections a couple months ago

group is contributing to the pie

Lina (Amherst Monday Night)

Alyssa cannot be the alternate anymore

Chris (Sunderland Security)

we were just voted in last month

our group is good

we got a new PA system

we have new members

we contribute to the pie

Barry (Sunderland Security)

Co-GSR

Janice (Making Progress Group)

group was receptive to the idea of having the area committee speak

we will vote on that next week

attendance waxes and wanes for unknown reasons

we could use more women in attendance

Margaret (I-Opener)

we had a lovely anniversary meeting on 2/2/19

at the moment we have no major issues

it is a fairly large, active group

Tanya (I-Opener)

Chip (Friday Night South Amherst)  
attendance is growing  
seats are getting difficult to find  
our group has four new members  
we still haven't resolved the difficult discussion we had around  
welcoming newcomers  
in our format (as the I-Opener did)  
we have elections this month  
I will be getting a co-GSR at that election

Will (You Chair It, You Name It)  
the location has changed to the Wesley United Methodist Church in  
Hadley  
attendance has not been affected

Barry asks about the language that the I-Opener added to their  
format.

Margaret explains that this language was added to make their group  
more welcoming to everyone who might be interested in AA:

*A word about our AA literature: Our group recognizes that AA's texts use language that doesn't represent—and may even exclude—some of the experiences and values of members in our fellowship. We want you to know that you are welcome here exactly as you are. If you think you have a problem with alcohol, you are welcome to attend this meeting.*

Chip: One member of our group thought that the intention was to  
change AA literature, not the format of the meeting.

Emily: It might be helpful to discuss what group conscience means  
within a particular group before proposing a change.

Chris: Does New York have a statement about this?

Emily: I believe that GSO usually addresses issues of exclusion by  
creating a new pamphlet.

Margaret: I believe there was something about this in a recent  
publication.

Lina: I think it was Box 459.

Chip: I think it is very important to have a statement that addresses inclusivity.

Anthony: Maybe asking the Area to conduct an inventory in your (Chip's) home group would be helpful.

Anthony: I believe Tradition 4 covers the question of what a group can do with their format. The question of changing AA literature is brought up on a regular basis at the GSC.

Chip: I would like to see something that addresses a lot of the things we addressed in our workshop.

Anthony: We still need to decide if we want to have a GSR presentation here.

Those who attended the Area GSR presentation: we thought it was helpful.

### **Area Report:**

New GSR's: please call Sonja, Area Registrar: [registrar@area31aa.org](mailto:registrar@area31aa.org)

Sonja will have a GSR packet sent to you

[area31aa.org](http://area31aa.org): Area 31 Website

Archivist is always requesting histories of home groups

There is a new app (iPhone, Android) for the meetings in our area:

Meeting Guide

Grapevine is celebrating 75 years

Grapevine and Public Information committees will bring their

informational boards to any

anniversary meeting

Western MA Round-Up is coming up: June 14-16th

tickets will be available next month

only 150 tickets available for the buffet

Area 31 Spring Assembly: April 27th & 28th @ Berkshire Community College

There is a concept meeting once a month: 1st Thursday @ 7:30PM @ 474 Pleasant St. Holyoke MA

Anthony reads his personal experience with the second step, tradition, and concept.

Emily: didn't we vote to not talk about the concepts as much as the tradition?

Anthony: I think it is important to talk about the concepts here.

Will: Right now, a group I attend goes through the traditions checklist. How do other groups discuss the traditions amongst themselves?

Chip: Our group doesn't do it.

Margaret: We have a variable format, and on the last Wednesday we read the tradition of the month and discuss it in our regular meeting.

Emily: Another group I am part of goes through the checklist, too.

Margaret: Doesn't that make the business meeting last a long time?

Will: We only did it once, and we spent five minutes on it.

Emily: We start the meeting by reading a few of the questions, but we don't discuss them.

### **GSR Q & A:**

Margaret: I think we have had more discussion at this meeting than any last year.

Chris: How many towns does Area 31 encompass? I am shocked that there are so few GSR's here in such a big district.

*Have a look at the map in the Area Handbook*

Emily: Maybe a reminder meeting would be helpful to bring more GSR's here.

Lina: I can send a reminder email the day before.

Janice: What is the service manual meeting?

Anthony: This meeting is open to anyone. They study the first half of the service manual. It is on the third Wednesday of the month @ 7:30PM @ 474 Pleasant St. Holyoke, MA.

Margaret: I think the Area Chair had just received a list of the topics to be addressed at the GSC.

Lina: We will each get an envelope with a specific topic before the Assembly.

Margaret: My group would like to see all of the topics.

Anthony: I will try to get the list.

Lina: It is a good idea to mention to our groups that we will need some time at our business meetings to discuss our Spring Assembly topic.

Motion to Close @ 8:05 PM  
Close with Responsibility Pledge